Project James 1:27

Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

10:32 AM

Widow Care

Posted by Project James 1:27

You know in James 1:27 God not only asks us to care for orphans but he also commands us to care for widows in their distress. I was asked to do a post on caring for widows and I will be honest and say this hasn't been easy for me. Ask me anything about orphans and I can either come up with an answer for you or lead you to someone that can. With the widow part being so difficult for me out of all honesty it shows me that I better start stepping up to the plate on this one more.

I could go Google widow ministry and give you tons of ways to help internationally but what about in our own backyards? So here are a few idea I have about ways you could care for widows and I would love comments from you on ideas you have.

Nursing homes are full of widows and I used to work at one when I was much younger. Something that really bothered me was that most residents rarely got visitors. How sad to think that these people who worked so hard through their lives, loved people, were brothers, sisters, moms, dads, aunts, uncles and on and on sit lonely through the last years, days, hours of their lives because it is too hard to visit them.

I think one great way of caring for widows would be to visit them. Speaking of nursing homes why not bring in some room decorations, clothes, lap blankets or flowers to make it feel more like home. A lot of places you could even put bird feeders outside their windows.

Now what about widows that are younger or just live at home alone? How about listening to them? If my husband is home late from work at all I start to get lonely even with 3 screaming kids. Imagine your husband not ever coming home. What about offering to help with things around the house or watch kids if they still have kids at home.

Call you church and ask if they know of anyways you could help widows in the area.

OK, it's your turn, how to you follow God's command to care for widows?

0 comments:

Post a Comment